ABS.Stat - GovHack instance
ABSGovHack.Stat is our dedicated GovHack instance of our public facing data warehouse - ABS.Stat. If you’re after ABS data via API, start here.
The site will be live Friday afternoon.
Use the web interface to view, query and download data; or either the SOAP or ReST (XML) APIs to grab the data you need.
This is currently an open beta product and we recognise that there may be some issues. If you do spot a problem, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop us a note in #talk-tech or open in Slack App. And of course, if you need data help, hit us up on #talk-stats or open in Slack App.
Statistics about people, including the 2011 Census.
- Regional Internal Migration Estimates – Regional internal migration covers the movement of people from one location to another within Australia.
- Estimated Resident Population (ERP) – Estimated Resident Population (ERP) is the official measure of the Australian population.
- Quarterly Population Estimates (ERP) – Estimated Resident Population (ERP) is the official measure of the Australian population.
- Net Overseas Migration – Net overseas migration (NOM) is the net gain or loss of population through immigration to Australia and emigration from Australia.
- Net Interstate Migration – Net interstate migration (NIM) is the difference between the number of persons who have changed their place of usual residence by moving into a given state or territory and the number who have changed their place of usual residence by moving out of that state or territory.
- Population clock component data – All the data you need to make a population clock. (Note: Population Clock components and results do not constitute official ABS projections and should not be used for purposes other than making a Population Clock.)
- Population Projections – These population projections illustrate how Australia’s overall population may change in the future as a result of certain assumptions.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Population Projections – These population projections illustrate how Australia’s indigenous population may change in the future as a result of certain assumptions.
- Apparent Consumption of Alcohol, Australia – This publication provides estimates of apparent consumption of alcohol based on the availability of alcoholic beverages in Australia.
- Census 2011 – The Census of Population and Housing is a descriptive count of everyone who is in Australia on one night, and of their dwellings.
- Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset (ACLD) – The Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset (ACLD) is Australia’s largest longitudinal data set bringing together a 5% random sample of around one million records from the 2006 Census with corresponding records from the 2011 Census.
- Socio-Economic Indexes For Areas (SEIFA) – Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA) is a product developed by the ABS that ranks areas in Australia according to relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage.
Economic Statistics: Main Economic Indicators for Australia including National Accounts, International Trade, Balance of Payments and Housing Finance
- Merchandise Exports – ($ Thousands) – This data set provides Australian international merchandise export trade statistics.
- Merchandise Imports – ($ Thousands) – This data set provides Australian international merchandise import trade statistics.
- Balance of Payments – The balance of payments (BOP) of is the record of all economic transactions between Australia and the rest of the world for a given period.
- International Investment Position – This data sets presents statistics on Australia’s external financial assets and liabilities.
- Business Indicators – Contains quarterly estimates of profits, income from the sale of goods and services, wages and salaries, and the book value of inventories.
- Private New Capital Expenditure and Expected Expenditure – Contains estimates of actual and expected new capital expenditure by type of asset (new buildings and other structures/equipment, plant and machinery) and by selected Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification industries
- Housing Finance – This publication presents statistics on housing finance commitments made by significant lenders.
- Lending Finance – This publication presents statistics on finance commitments made by significant lenders for the purposes of secured housing finance for owner occupation, other personal finance, commercial finance and lease finance.
Labour and Price Statistics
Workforce Statistics and Price Indexes including the CPI
- Labour Force – Contains estimates of the civilian labour force derived from the Labour Force Survey component of the Monthly Population Survey.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) 16th Series – The Consumer Price Index (CPI) measures quarterly changes in the price of a ‘basket’ of goods and services which account for a high proportion of expenditure by the CPI population group (i.e. metropolitan households).
- Wage Price Index – Contains indexes measuring changes in the price of labour in the Australian labour market.
- Export Price Index – Presents indexes measuring changes in the prices of exports of merchandise that are shipped from Australia each quarter (the Export Price Index).
- Import Price Index – Presents indexes measuring changes in the prices of imports of merchandise that are shipped from Australia each quarter (the Import Price Index).
- Producer Price Index – Economy-wide indexes are presented within a Stage of Production (SOP) framework, followed by a set of partial, stand-alone measures relating to specific industry sectors of the economy (selected manufacturing, construction, mining and service industries).
- Residential Property Price Indexes – Provides estimates of changes in residential property prices in each of the eight capital cities of Australia and related statistics.
Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Industry Statistics
- Building Approvals – The monthly Building Approvals (BAPS) collection collects data relating to residential and non-residential building work above certain value limits that have been approved within the reference month.
- Retail Trade – This publication presents estimates of the value of turnover of “retail trade” for Australian businesses classified by industry, and by state and territory.
- Tourist Accommodation – This publication presents data from the quarterly Survey of Tourist Accommodation (STA). The STA completely enumerates all in-scope accommodation establishments within Australia.
- Internet Activity – This release contains details of internet activity supplied by Internet Service Providers in Australia with more than 1,000 active subscribers.
Statistics about transport
- Sales of New Motor Vehicles – This publication presents statistics on sales of new motor vehicles by vehicle type at the state/territory and national level.
Mining sector statistics
- Mineral Exploration – Actual and expected expenditure by private organisations exploring for minerals.
- Petroleum Exploration – Actual and expected expenditure by private organisations exploring for petroleum.